Fixing Mistakes on your Tax Return


So, you've diligently filed your federal tax return, only to realize later that a mistake has slipped through the cracks. It's a common scenario, but fret not – the IRS provides a solution in the form of an amended tax return. Whether it's a change in filing status, income, deductions, or credits, understanding the process of amending your tax return can save you time, money, and unnecessary headaches.

What you need to know about filing an amended tax return

You've filed your federal tax return and now discovered you've made a mistake. What should you do? You can fix the errors by filing an amended tax return. Here's what you should know:

  • Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to file an amended tax return. Prior to 2020, Form 1040X could only be filed by mail, but now those filing amended returns can do so electronically and enjoy the same speed and security of direct deposit as those filing an original Form 1040 tax return.
  • You should consider filing an amended tax return if there is a change in your filing status, income, deductions or credits.
  • Normally you do not need to file an amended return to correct math errors. The IRS will automatically make those changes for you. Also, don't file an amended return because you forgot to attach tax forms, such as Forms W-2 or schedules. If necessary, the IRS normally will send a request asking for those documents.
  • In general, you must file Form 1040X within three years of the date you filed your original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. If you filed early, count from the original tax deadline. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X.
  • If you are amending more than one tax return, prepare a Form 1040X for each year's return and e-file or mail them to the IRS in separate envelopes.
  • If you are mailing your amended return, you will find the appropriate IRS address in the Form 1040X instructions.
  • If your changes involve the need for another schedule or form, you must attach that schedule or form to the amended tax return.
  • If you are filing an amended tax return to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original tax refund before filing Form 1040X. You may cash your original refund check while waiting for the additional refund.
  • If you owe additional taxes with Form 1040X, file it and pay the tax with the return or as soon as possible to minimize interest and penalties.
  • You can generally expect your amended return to be processed in about 20 weeks from the date the IRS receives it.
  • You can use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tool on to check the status of your amended tax return three weeks after you submit it.

Take action now: contact us for expert guidance

If you've identified errors in your tax return and need assistance filing an amended return, don't hesitate to reach out. Whether you're seeking to correct mistakes, explore opportunities for additional refunds, or ensure compliance with IRS regulations, it's crucial to address your situation promptly.

Free Prior Year Review: Are you missing out on refunds?

Take advantage of our complimentary prior-year review to uncover any overlooked deductions or credits that could lead to more significant refunds. With a thorough examination of your past tax filings, we can help you maximize your tax savings potential and secure the refunds you deserve. 

If you are filing an amended tax return to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original tax refund before filing Form 1040X.

Don't delay!

Whether you're owed a refund or need to address tax liabilities, procrastination can lead to more significant issues down the line. Schedule a free consultation today to discuss your amended tax return needs and take proactive steps toward financial accuracy and peace of mind. 

© 2024 Sonny Peak CPA, LLC

Powered by Webnode
Create your website for free!